The Burton Gallery
The Burton Gallery represents some of the finest pieces from our fine art collection.
See Italian Old Master paintings with a religious focus, portraiture and ‘vedute’ (views) and Dutch and Flemish Old Master paintings which show how artists of the region specialised in landscape, lavish still life banquets and genre painting such as commonplace tavern scenes.
Works by early 20th century modern artists demonstrate the enduring influence of Impressionism and Post Impressionism, including the shared influences of Degas, Gauguin and Whistler.
Abstract paintings by Michael Ginsborg and Ben Nicholson explore how artists have experimented with colour, form and texture to develop new ways of seeing.
Old favourites such as Hogarth’s Studio by E. M. Ward and Clifford’s Tower by L. S. Lowry are also included along with paintings by York artist William Etty.
The works on display in this gallery may change over time, so please contact us ahead of your visit if there is a particular piece or artist you would like to see.
- York Art Gallery Extend Art Happens Campaign To Help Reach Leisure Land Golf Target
- Second display of Alive: Art Between Life and Science goes on show at York Art Gallery
- Embroider Your Dreams: Artist Calls for York Exhibition Input
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- York Museums Trust Appoint Fundraising Manager
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.