The Burton Gallery
The Burton Gallery represents some of the finest pieces from our fine art collection.
See Italian Old Master paintings with a religious focus, portraiture and ‘vedute’ (views) and Dutch and Flemish Old Master paintings which show how artists of the region specialised in landscape, lavish still life banquets and genre painting such as commonplace tavern scenes.
Works by early 20th century modern artists demonstrate the enduring influence of Impressionism and Post Impressionism, including the shared influences of Degas, Gauguin and Whistler.
Abstract paintings by Michael Ginsborg and Ben Nicholson explore how artists have experimented with colour, form and texture to develop new ways of seeing.
Old favourites such as Hogarth’s Studio by E. M. Ward and Clifford’s Tower by L. S. Lowry are also included along with paintings by York artist William Etty.
The works on display in this gallery may change over time, so please contact us ahead of your visit if there is a particular piece or artist you would like to see.
- Award Winning Film, Talk and Exhibition on the Refugee Crisis
- York Museums Trust’s Open Weekend
- York Art Gallery to host Aesthetica Art Prize 2018 Exhibition from 18 May 2018
- New exhibition 'The Sea is the Limit' Officially Opened by the Archbishop of York Dr John Sentamu at York Art Gallery
- YMT Card Holders Invited to Exclusive Private View of Two New Exhibitions at York Art Gallery This May
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.