The Burton Gallery
The Burton Gallery represents some of the finest pieces from our fine art collection.
See Italian Old Master paintings with a religious focus, portraiture and ‘vedute’ (views) and Dutch and Flemish Old Master paintings which show how artists of the region specialised in landscape, lavish still life banquets and genre painting such as commonplace tavern scenes.
Works by early 20th century modern artists demonstrate the enduring influence of Impressionism and Post Impressionism, including the shared influences of Degas, Gauguin and Whistler.
Abstract paintings by Michael Ginsborg and Ben Nicholson explore how artists have experimented with colour, form and texture to develop new ways of seeing.
Old favourites such as Hogarth’s Studio by E. M. Ward and Clifford’s Tower by L. S. Lowry are also included along with paintings by York artist William Etty.
The works on display in this gallery may change over time, so please contact us ahead of your visit if there is a particular piece or artist you would like to see.
- World renowned art experts in York for Picasso events
- Call Out for Dancers, Singers and Musicians to become a Work of Art at York Art Gallery
- PICASSO: Ceramics from the Attenborough Collection - A Major New Exhibition at York Art Gallery
- Double Discount Shopping Day at all of our sites for YMT Card Holders on 15 July 2017
- Life Size Bronze Sculpture of an Irish Wolfhound by Sally Arnup donated to York Art Gallery
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.