The Anthony Shaw Collection
Anthony Shaw has been collecting art for over 40 years and his collection is on long term loan to York Museums Trust.
Shaw is particularly drawn to work that explores the sculptural and painterly qualities of clay.
Shaw has always felt that his collection is most at home in a domestic environment and he has worked with the ceramist Martin Smith to develop a domestic-style space in which to show his collection.
Taking the form of two rooms, Shaw places his objects on furniture, between books on shelves, in front of paintings and he invites visitors in to share the experience of living with a collection.
Current Display: Themes
- York Art Gallery selected as finalists for Large Visitor Attraction of the Year at the Visit York Awards 2022
- W.A. Ismay’s remarkable ceramics collection to go on display in new exhibition at York Art Gallery’s Centre of Ceramic Art
- Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings - Twenty-five recently attributed Gainsborough drawings go on show for the first time alongside major works
- Clay, Peat and Cage - UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
- Work by world-renowned artist Damien Hirst on display at York Art Gallery