The Anthony Shaw Collection
Anthony Shaw has been collecting art for over 40 years and his collection is on long term loan to York Museums Trust.
Shaw is particularly drawn to work that explores the sculptural and painterly qualities of clay.
Shaw has always felt that his collection is most at home in a domestic environment and he has worked with the ceramist Martin Smith to develop a domestic-style space in which to show his collection.
Taking the form of two rooms, Shaw places his objects on furniture, between books on shelves, in front of paintings and he invites visitors in to share the experience of living with a collection.
Current Display: Themes
- York Art Gallery welcomes loan of Grayson Perry’s Entrance to the Forest
- New Exhibition 'Drawing attention: emerging artists in dialogue', opening this October.
- New exhibition ‘Bloom’ to open at York Art Gallery this June
- York Art Gallery celebrates women ceramicists in new ‘Wall of Women’ display
- The 2023 Aesthetica Art Prize Exhibition returns to York Art Gallery between 24 March and 4 June 2023