Monday – Sunday: 10am – 5pm
Closed: 25, 26 December and 1 January.
Early closing at 2.30pm: 24 and 31 December.
Approximate length of visit: 1.5 to 2 hours.
YMT Card Holder FREE
Adult (with 10% Gift Aid Donation) £7.50
Adult (without donation) £6.81
Child (16 and under*) FREE with a paying adult
Access Day Ticket** £4.00
With a YorkCard 20% off day tickets
12 months unlimited access to York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum. Click here for details.
YMT Card £22 / £20 with Direct Debit
if you are a York resident*** £11 / £10 with Direct Debit
Access YMT Card** £11 / £10 with Direct Debit
if you are a York resident*** FREE
* Up to four children free per one paying adult. Additional children aged 5-16 will be charged at £4 per child. Under 5s are free.
** Access tickets: up to 50% discount for visitors aged 17-24 or in receipt of Pension Credit or Universal Credit (that’s Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income–based Job Seeker’s Allowance, or Income Support). Evidence may be required. York Museums Trust is an independent charity, we need to raise funds but we are also committed to providing access to everybody.
*** York residents must be in possession of a valid YorkCard, available from all Explore libraries, a York student ID card, or a current Council Tax bill demonstrating that they live within the City of York Council local authority boundary.
Please note that the above admission prices do not apply to group bookings of ten or more – please click here for information on group bookings.
National Art Pass FREE
You can buy your National Art Pass from the Art Fund website.
We offer free admission for the below. Please note that a valid card or proof of identity will be required in most circumstances.
- Carers who are accompanying a disabled visitor
- Blind or partially-sighted visitors
- National Art Pass holders (find out more on the Art Fund website)
- York Pass holders
- York Museums Trust staff, Trustees and volunteers
- Friends of York Art Gallery
- Blue Badge Guide
- Museums Association Card
- ICOM (International Council of Museums) staff
- NMDC (National Museums Directors council) staff
- GEM (Group for Education in Museums) staff
- York members of the Association of Voluntary Guides
- MAX Card
- Visit York Tourism Partners
- Visit York VIP Pass
- Museum and gallery employees for organisations included in the NMDC Reciprocal Free Admission Scheme
How to Find Us
Exhibition Square, York, YO1 7EW
York Art Gallery is in Exhibition Square, five minutes’ from York Minster and opposite Bootham Bar, the northern gateway on the city walls. It is about 15 to 20 minutes’ walk from York Railway Station.
The nearest car park is on Marygate, which is five minutes’ walk and has 350 spaces. Marygate is off Bootham, the A19, which is the main road into York from the north. For more car parking information please click here.
Café No.8 at York Art Gallery
Serving breakfasts, cakes, light bites and lunches and a variety of drinks, Café No.8 offer the perfect start or end to your visit to the Gallery. Click here to find out more.
YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in the café.
There are two entrances to York Art Gallery, at the front and the other at the rear via York Museum Gardens. The gallery is fully accessible to wheelchair users. Please click here for full accessibility information.
Click here to listen to an audio guide of the gallery produced by the Art Fund and VocalEyes.
Please note that due to some high humidity levels, we have had to temporarily install some dehumidifiers in the galleries. This is to protect the artworks. Unfortunately until the humidity levels have been brought under control, the machines will be operating and there is an associated noise with their operation.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Please speak to a member of of Welcome Team if you need further information during your visit.
There are toilet facilities available on both the ground floor and first floor, including an accessible toilet on both floors. Baby changing facilities are available in the accessible toilets.
Lockers are available for use by visitors to the gallery – please ask our Welcome Team for assistance on arrival.
York Art Gallery has a shop on the ground floor opposite the front entrance which stocks a range of themed cards, gifts and memorabilia suitable for all ages. From quirky postcards and informative books, to children’s art supplies and original gifts, you’re sure to find something tempting to take home.
The Centre of Ceramic Art also has a dedicated shop located on the upper floor. Along with cards, gifts and guide books, the shop also stock limited edition and collectible ceramics specially selected by our curatorial and retail departments. To find out more, visit our Curator Space page.
YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in the shop.
Group & School Bookings
For more information on York Art Gallery and other attractions in York, please click here to view the York 2017 Visitor Guide from the team at Visit York.
Find us on TripAdvisor
- Call Out for Dancers, Singers and Musicians to become a Work of Art at York Art Gallery
- PICASSO: Ceramics from the Attenborough Collection - A Major New Exhibition at York Art Gallery
- Double Discount Shopping Day at all of our sites for YMT Card Holders on 15 July 2017
- Life Size Bronze Sculpture of an Irish Wolfhound by Sally Arnup donated to York Art Gallery
- New Exhibition 'Paul Nash and the Uncanny Landscape: An Exhibition Curated by John Stezaker' Opens 20 October 2017 at York Art Gallery
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.