Open daily: 10am – 5pm
Closed: 25, 26 December and 1 January.
Early closing at 2.30pm: 24 and 31 December.
Bags and Luggage
We have locker facilities for small luggage but ask that any wheeled luggage, suitcases or large pieces of luggage are not brought onto site. We recommend the use of Yorbag for any luggage storage needs. At times for additional security we may implement bag checks at the gallery. Please contact us if you require any further information.
Approximate length of visit: 1.5 to 2 hours.
YMT Card Holder FREE
Adult (with 10% Gift Aid Donation) £7.50
Adult (without donation) £6.81
Child (16 and under)* FREE with a paying adult
Access Day Ticket** £4
With a YorkCard 20% off day tickets
Book Your Tickets Online
Don’t miss out and pay your admission online.
With a YMT Card, you can enjoy unlimited access to York Castle Museum, the Yorkshire Museum and York Art Gallery for a whole year, discounts in our shops and cafes, invitations to private views and more…
YMT Card: £22 / £20 by annual Direct Debit
Access YMT Card: £11 / £10 by annual Direct Debit**
York Resident YMT Card: £11 / £10 by annual Direct Debit**
York Resident Access YMT Card: Free***
*Up to four children free per one paying adult. Additional children aged 5-16 will be charged at £4 per child.
**Our Access YMT Cards and Tickets are for visitors who are able to demonstrate that they are either aged 17-24 or in receipt of Pension Credit, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income-Based Job Seeker’s Allowance, or Income Support. York Museums Trust is a charity which is committed to providing access to everybody.
***York residents must be able to demonstrate that they live within the City of York Council local authority boundary by providing a recent Council Tax statement, a valid YorkCard from an Explore library, a York student ID card or similar.
The above prices do not apply to group bookings of ten or more. YMT Cards are not eligible for group bookings.
If you or any of your party have an additional need that you feel may affect your visit, please talk to our Visitor Experience team when you arrive as you may be eligible for a discounted entry rate.
National Art Pass FREE
You can buy your National Art Pass from the Art Fund website.
We offer free admission for the below. Please note that a valid card or proof of identity will be required in most circumstances.
- Carers who are accompanying a disabled visitor
- Blind or partially-sighted visitors
- National Art Pass holders (find out more on the Art Fund website)
- York Pass holders
- York Museums Trust staff, Trustees and volunteers
- Friends of York Art Gallery
- Blue Badge Guide
- Museums Association Card
- ICOM (International Council of Museums) staff
- NMDC (National Museums Directors council) staff
- GEM (Group for Education in Museums) staff
- York members of the Association of Voluntary Guides
- MAX Card
- Visit York Tourism Partners
- Visit York VIP Pass
- Museum and gallery employees for organisations included in the NMDC Reciprocal Free Admission Scheme
How to Find Us
Exhibition Square, York, YO1 7EW
York Art Gallery is in Exhibition Square, five minutes’ from York Minster and opposite Bootham Bar.
Parking & Public Transport
The nearest car park is on Marygate, which is five minutes’ walk and has 350 spaces. Marygate is off Bootham, the A19, which is the main road into York from the north. For more car parking information, visit www.yorklive.info.
The gallery is approximately a 15 to 20 minute walk from York Railway Station.
There are several bus stops on Exhibition Square, just outside the Art Gallery. This is within 150m (164yds) of the gallery. For more information, visit www.itravelyork.info/buses.
You might also want to make use of the city’s park and ride service.
Here are some things you need to know about accessibility at York Art Gallery:
- There are two entrances to the gallery – at the front and the other at the back via York Museum Gardens
- The gallery is fully accessible to wheelchair users
- We have an online audio guide produced by the Art Fund and VocalEyes
- Some of our exhibitions use flashing lights
There are toilet facilities available on both the ground floor and first floor, including an accessible toilet on both floors. Baby changing facilities are available in the accessible toilets.
York Art Gallery has a shop on the ground floor opposite the front entrance which stocks a range of themed cards, gifts and memorabilia suitable for all ages. From quirky postcards and informative books, to children’s art supplies and original gifts, you’re sure to find something tempting to take home.
The Centre of Ceramic Art also has a dedicated shop located on the upper floor. Along with cards, gifts and guide books, the shop also stock limited edition and collectible ceramics specially selected by our curatorial and retail departments. See our CoCA shop for what we currently have in stock.
YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in theshop.
Pushchairs are welcome and there are baby changing facilities in the accessible toilets. For more information please visit our Families page.
Assistance Dogs are permitted but no other animals are allowed entry to the museum.
- Photographs taken without a flash are permitted of works belonging to York Art Gallery. We do not have copyright permission for works on loan so please do not photograph these
- Our Visitor Experience Team will be able to advise you on which are the works on loan
- Please do not use tripods, selfie sticks or a flash as these can damage artwork
- If you’d like to bring filming equipment to take film/video footage, please seek permission in writing from the Gallery Manager
- For information on publishing images of our collection and building please contact our Enquiries department
- We also offer copyright-free images via our online collections. Visit our image policy and requests page for more information
Group & School Bookings
Visit our group bookings page for information on booking a group or school visit.
Serving hot and cold drinks and cake, Bradshaws give you the perfect start or end to your visit to the Gallery. And of course, they are just as happy to see you even if you’re not visiting the Gallery!
The Artists Garden is situated within the original abbey walls at the rear of York Art Gallery. Together with the Edible Wood, it was created to coincide with the gallery’s £8 million development. The site is used to display contemporary art for free. The two acres of land were previously closed off to the public but now link with the original York Museum Gardens and through to Exhibition Square.
For more information, please visit our artists garden page.
For more information on visiting York please click here to view the Visit York 2018 Visitor Guide.
Find us on TripAdvisor
- New Work Which Explores War, Memory and Loss Acquired by York Art Gallery
- ‘The Triumph of Pan’ by Nicolas Poussin - Schools Challenge
- Visit York Museums Trust sites for Free This York Residents Festival
- Come and Enjoy Dance in an Exhibition of Sound
- York Museums Trust Granted Subject Specialist Networks Project Funding
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.