York Art Gallery will be temporarily closed from 4pm on Wednesday 4 November. Please find our closure information page here.
Our procedures have gained the Good to Go certification from Visit England, so visitors can be assured that we have followed government and industry Covid-19 Guidelines.
Book online Tickets
You will need to book tickets online before you visit.
York Art Gallery will be temporarily closed from 4pm on Wednesday November 4 until December 2 2020.
Our permanent displays of nationally and internationally important art are free for you to enjoy. As a charity we rely on income from our visitors. If you can, please make a donation to help us continue to share and care for York’s wonderful collections. Special exhibitions include an entry charge.
Approximate length of visit
1.5 to 2 hours.
Our café Sketch will be open and serving hot snacks and refreshments in a new socially distanced lay out. Seating is available inside and outside. An additional catering outlet by Sketch is located at the Pavillion café which is situated within York Museum Gardens close to the Artists’ Garden.
For more information about our Sketch café, please contact Origin York.
Bags and Luggage
We have locker facilities for small luggage but ask that any suitcases, large backpacks or large pieces of luggage are not brought into the gallery.
Any wheeled luggage must be stored in the lockers with the exception of shopping strollers.
We recommend the use of Yorbag for any luggage storage needs, which is a two minute walk from the gallery.
If you have purchased an online ticket to the Gallery, you can get 20% discount at Yorbag when you show your ticket.
For more information on bringing bags and luggage to the Art Gallery, please download the following document.
Buggies, wheelchairs and mobility scooters
Buggies, wheelchairs and mobility scooters are welcome but may also be subject to searches.
How to Find Us
Exhibition Square, York, YO1 7EW
York Art Gallery is in Exhibition Square, five minutes’ from York Minster and opposite Bootham Bar.
Parking & Public Transport
The nearest car park is on Marygate, which is five minutes’ walk and has 350 spaces. Marygate is off Bootham, the A19, which is the main road into York from the north. For more car parking information, visit www.yorklive.info.
The gallery is approximately a 15 to 20 minute walk from York Railway Station.
There are several bus stops on Exhibition Square, just outside the Art Gallery. This is within 150m (164yds) of the gallery. For more information, visit www.itravelyork.info/buses.
You might also want to make use of the city’s park and ride service.
Here are some things you need to know about accessibility at York Art Gallery:
- The gallery is fully accessible to wheelchair users
- We have an online audio guide produced by the Art Fund and VocalEyes
- Some of our exhibitions use flashing lights
There are toilet facilities available on both the ground floor and first floor, including an accessible toilet on both floors. Baby changing facilities are available in the accessible toilets.
The shop also contains items dedicated to the Centre of Ceramic Art. Along with cards, gifts and guide books, the shop also stock limited edition and collectible ceramics specially selected by our curatorial and retail departments. See our CoCA shop for what we currently have in stock.
YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in the shop.
Pushchairs are welcome, but and there are baby changing facilities in the accessible toilets. For more information please visit our Families page.
Assistance Dogs are permitted but no other animals are allowed entry to the museum.
- Photographs taken without a flash are permitted of works belonging to York Art Gallery. We do not have copyright permission for works on loan so please do not photograph these
- Our Visitor Experience Team will be able to advise you on which are the works on loan
- Please do not use tripods, selfie sticks or a flash as these can damage artwork
- If you’d like to bring filming equipment to take film/video footage, please seek permission in writing from the Gallery Manager
- For information on publishing images of our collection and building please contact our Enquiries department
- We also offer copyright-free images via our online collections. Visit our image policy and requests page for more information
The Artists Garden is situated within the original abbey walls at the rear of York Art Gallery. Together with the Edible Wood, it was created to coincide with the gallery’s £8 million development. The site is used to display contemporary art for free. The two acres of land were previously closed off to the public but now link with the original York Museum Gardens and through to Exhibition Square.
For more information, please visit our artists garden page.
Although we do not currently offer a designated prayer space, please ask a member of staff if this is something you require and they’ll try to find an appropriate space for you.
Support York Museums Trust
Our collections are of national and international importance, and our gallery welcomes thousands of visitors each year.
York Museums Trust is a registered charity set up to care for the city’s art and heritage and develop them for future generations.
Donations, endowments and bequests of any size are welcomed – any gift makes a difference.
For more information, or to make a donation, please visit our Donations page.
For more information on visiting York please click here to view the Visit York Visitor Guide.
Find us on TripAdvisor
- New paintings by prominent British artists acquired by York Art Gallery
- Former director of the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum joins York Museums Trust Board of Trustees
- Major Digital Arts Exhibition Human Nature to run until May 9 2021
- A statement addressing new national restrictions
- York Art Gallery and Kaiser Chiefs win national award
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.