Date: Saturday 3 September 2022, All Day
Venue: York Art Gallery
This year’s event will feature hands-on opportunities, demonstrations, workshops, talks and performance art. Perfect for the whole family!
Saturday 3rd September 2022
Learn to throw on a wheel, tour the ‘Wall of Women’, draw with clay and take part in ceramic life drawing. Plus, to celebrate the current special exhibition ‘Body Vessel Clay: Black Women, Ceramics & Contemporary Art’, a partnership exhibition from Two Temple Place, curator Dr Jareh Das will take visitors on a guided tour around the galleries.
Day of Clay activities are free to attend and everyone is welcome to #RethinkCeramics. No booking required.
Programme of events – Saturday 3rd September 2022
CoCA 2 Gallery
- 11:30 – 12:15 Day of Clay 2022 Intro by Helen Walsh, Curator of Ceramics.
A rare opportunity to see Hans Coper’s infamous kick wheel live in action, with Craft Potter Chris Barnes throwing pots.
- 13:00 – 13:30 Wall of Women tour
Learn more about the new display of works by female ceramicists.
Main CoCA Gallery
- 12:30 – 13.30 ‘Elements’ – A creative clay performance
Join York Dance Collective performers Milena Dragic and Miranda Lowe, and create with clay, as you journey through the four Elements, with music from Bryn Davies.
- 15:30 – 16.30 The Yorkshire Tea Ceremony tour
Curator of Ceramics, Helen Walsh, explores the world of renowned Studio Pottery Collector W.A. Ismay.
- All day – Ceramic Bird Trail
Pick up a sheet and explore!
In the Studio
- 11:45 – 12:45 Clay play & hand building workshop
Join artist Lyn Wait for a family-friendly, hands-on session experimenting with clay, mark making, and hand building. Take your air-dry clay creation home with you to decorate.
- 13:15 – 14:15 Drawing with clay workshop
Get involved with a family-friendly, hands-on activity created by Body Vessel Clay featured artist, Vivian Chinasa Ezugha.
- 14:45 – 16:15 Clay sculpture demo + workshop
Learn hand sculpting skills from Craft Potter Fellow Loretta Braganza. Create an air-dry clay vessel to take home with you to decorate.
- 14:00 – 15:30 Drawing & ceramics workshop
Join artist Lyn Wait for a family-friendly exploration of drawing techniques, texture, ceramics packaging, and negative space.
- 11:30; 12:00; 12:30; 13:00; 16:00 Ceramic life drawing
These self-led, 20 minute life drawing sessions feature special guest appearances by ceramic beings from the store!
Madsen Gallery – Body Vessel Clay exhibition
- 14:00 – 15:00 In Conversation with Dr Jareh Das, curator of Body Vessel Clay, a partnership exhibition from Two Temple Place.
Upper North Gallery
- 13:30 – 15:00 Ippuku Tea House Matcha Tea demonstration, plus Q&A
Upstairs Craft Space (former CoCA shop)
- 13:00 – 16.00 Throwing on the wheel taster sessions
Have a go on the pottery wheel with Craft Potter, Chris Barnes. No experience necessary!
View event >