Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA)
CoCA highlights and celebrates our collection of British Studio Ceramics, which is the largest and amongst the most important in the UK and covers the entire British studio ceramics movement.
Formed mainly of large gifts from significant private collectors, it retains the unique personality, passions and obsessions of its creators, providing an insight into the socio-economic development of the British studio ceramics movement.
The collection is supported by extensive and fascinating archives, as well as historical collections of ceramics which date back to prehistory.
CoCA is housed in two beautiful new gallery spaces on the first floor of York Art Gallery and will present changing exhibitions and displays, new acquisitions, and commissions.
This programme will be supported by informal learning opportunities, academic research and events, all with the aim of promoting the understanding and enjoyment of this important but under recognised area of British Modernism.
A History of British Studio Ceramics
‘Pottery is at once the simplest and the most difficult of all arts’
Herbert Read, 1931
The British studio ceramics movement began in the early 20th century, carrying on a long tradition of producing objects by hand from clay.
From familiar domestic functional pots to challenging abstract forms, artists continue to explore the malleable nature of this commonplace material and the intimate role it plays in our daily lives.
Many artists have made their mark in clay and this gallery highlights some of the key personalities in our collection.
Teachers, students, contemporaries and admirers are brought together in a rich landscape of form, colour and texture.
- YMT Card Holders Invited to Exclusive Private View of Two New Exhibitions at York Art Gallery This May
- Thought provoking works of art to go on display at York Art Gallery this May in exhibition 'The Sea is the Limit'
- York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum Open As Normal
- New Exhibition to open 4 May 2018 Celebrating the 70th Anniversary of the Friends of York Art Gallery
- Visit York Museums Trust sites for free this York Residents' Festival January 27 and 28 2018
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.