The BFG in Pictures
12 October 2018 – 24 February 2019
The BFG in Pictures is an exhibition of original Quentin Blake illustrations, prepared for Roald Dahl’s classic story The BFG.
The exhibition, curated by Quentin Blake, will contain 40 original artworks, including rarely seen unpublished illustrations of The BFG.
These illustrations were included in first designs but then, after consultation with Dahl, were not used when the book was published for the first time in 1982. They provide a unique insight into the character development of one of the most iconic characters in children’s literature.
These unpublished illustrations will be exhibited alongside the final illustrations for the book, providing a fascinating insight into the collaboration between author and illustration, and a glimpse of a BFG that might have been…
There are fun activities running alongside the show, where you can wander into ‘Giant Country’, catch phizzwizzards in the BFG’s cave and enjoy a story in ‘Sophie’s Bedroom’.
“It’s fitting that a story bursting with magic has inspired an exhibition that’s truly magical too.” Little Vikings review
“The exhibition is everything you’d hope for and more!” One & Other Creative review
“All generations of Dahl fans will get something out of this exhibition.” Books With Baby review
House of Illustration
The BFG in Pictures is an exhibition from House of Illustration.
- Trustee of York Museums Trust included in the Woman’s Hour Power List 2020: Our Planet
- New paintings by prominent British artists acquired by York Art Gallery
- Former director of the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum joins York Museums Trust Board of Trustees
- Major Digital Arts Exhibition Human Nature to run until May 9 2021
- A statement addressing new national restrictions