The Project Gallery showcases work with local communities and contemporary artists responding to our collections.
It is located to the left of the main entrance at York Art Gallery and admission is FREE (normal gallery opening hours apply).
Teenage Art School 2020 (14 February – June 2020)
Come and experience the creativity, combination of tech and exploration of traditional art techniques produced by our Teenage Art School participants 2020. This year’s free exhibition is currently on display in the Project Gallery until late June. Our experimental five day course for 14 to 17 year olds runs annually, investigating different themes and approaches to help young people develop their skills as artists.
Bouts Artist in Residence (September 2019 – February 2020)
York Art Gallery is pleased to be working with a student artist from York St John’s University to produce fine art visuals in response to the stimulus, Making a Masterpiece: Bouts and Beyond (c.1450 – 2020). Using the exhibition as a starting point for inspiration, our intern will create their own participatory artwork in the Project Gallery. See how artists make images and engage with techniques in this evolving studio and display space.
This exhibition has been developed as a HLF funded partnership with The Bowes Museum and Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and is achieved in partnership with the National Gallery.
- York Art Gallery welcomes loan of Grayson Perry’s Entrance to the Forest
- New Exhibition 'Drawing attention: emerging artists in dialogue', opening this October.
- New exhibition ‘Bloom’ to open at York Art Gallery this June
- York Art Gallery celebrates women ceramicists in new ‘Wall of Women’ display
- The 2023 Aesthetica Art Prize Exhibition returns to York Art Gallery between 24 March and 4 June 2023