The Project Gallery showcases work with local communities and contemporary artists responding to our collections.
It is located to the left of the main entrance at York Art Gallery and admission is FREE (normal gallery opening hours apply).
Teenage Art School 2020 (14 February – June 2020)
Come and experience the creativity, combination of tech and exploration of traditional art techniques produced by our Teenage Art School participants 2020. This year’s free exhibition is currently on display in the Project Gallery until late June. Our experimental five day course for 14 to 17 year olds runs annually, investigating different themes and approaches to help young people develop their skills as artists.
Bouts Artist in Residence (September 2019 – February 2020)
York Art Gallery is pleased to be working with a student artist from York St John’s University to produce fine art visuals in response to the stimulus, Making a Masterpiece: Bouts and Beyond (c.1450 – 2020). Using the exhibition as a starting point for inspiration, our intern will create their own participatory artwork in the Project Gallery. See how artists make images and engage with techniques in this evolving studio and display space.
This exhibition has been developed as a HLF funded partnership with The Bowes Museum and Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and is achieved in partnership with the National Gallery.
- Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings - Twenty-five recently attributed Gainsborough drawings go on show for the first time alongside major works
- Clay, Peat and Cage - UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
- Work by world-renowned artist Damien Hirst on display at York Art Gallery
- A new display of The Anthony Shaw Collection entitled ‘Themes’ opens at the Centre of Ceramic Art
- York Museums Trust invitation to tenders