The Project Gallery showcases work with local communities and contemporary artists responding to our collections.
It is located to the left of the main entrance at York Art Gallery and admission is FREE (normal gallery opening hours apply).
Teenage Art School 2020 (14 February – June 2020)
Come and experience the creativity, combination of tech and exploration of traditional art techniques produced by our Teenage Art School participants 2020. This year’s free exhibition is currently on display in the Project Gallery until late June. Our experimental five day course for 14 to 17 year olds runs annually, investigating different themes and approaches to help young people develop their skills as artists.
Bouts Artist in Residence (September 2019 – February 2020)
York Art Gallery is pleased to be working with a student artist from York St John’s University to produce fine art visuals in response to the stimulus, Making a Masterpiece: Bouts and Beyond (c.1450 – 2020). Using the exhibition as a starting point for inspiration, our intern will create their own participatory artwork in the Project Gallery. See how artists make images and engage with techniques in this evolving studio and display space.
This exhibition has been developed as a HLF funded partnership with The Bowes Museum and Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and is achieved in partnership with the National Gallery.
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Internationally significant ceramics donated to York Art Gallery
- Trustee of York Museums Trust included in the Woman’s Hour Power List 2020: Our Planet
- New paintings by prominent British artists acquired by York Art Gallery
- Former director of the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum joins York Museums Trust Board of Trustees