The Project Gallery showcases work with local communities and contemporary artists responding to our collections. It is located to the left of the main entrance at York Art Gallery and admission is FREE (normal gallery opening hours apply).
Previous Exhibition – eMBIZENI
29 September – 6 October 2018
eMBIZENI (from isiZulu word ‘IMBIZA’ meaning ‘cooking pot’) contains the complexities of Ulungile Magubane’s relationship with her home city as it grows beyond recognition and where inequality still reigns supreme. It is an immersive AV installation.
Currently, Ulungile’s work is informed by the idea that the human life is a series of the economic choices we make as participants in a global hyper capitalist economy. Those choices are informed by personal and societal identities. Her work is also reflective of the vulnerability that comes with living.
Image: Ulungile Magubane, installation artist
- Free Entry to York Art Gallery with a National Lottery Ticket
- Nicolas Poussin’s The Triumph of Pan Travelling the UK in 2019
- Janet Cardiff’s The Forty Part Motet to Feature in New Exhibition at York Art Gallery
- Major Exhibition Marking 200th Birthday of Art and Social Critic John Ruskin to go on Display
- YMT Exclusive - Win Tickets to the VIP Launch of 'When All is Quiet: Kaiser Chiefs in Conversation with York Art Gallery'
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.