Previous Exhibition: Art and Music
23 June – 31 December, 2012
This exhibition celebrated music and its harmonious and historic relationship with visual art.
Using paintings and objects from York Art Gallery’s outstanding collections, it considered the role of music in abstract art, symbolism of music and representations of performance.
The works, spanning over 350 years of art, by artists including Bridget Riley, Juriaan van Streek, LS Lowry, Walter Greaves, Elizabeth Fritsch and loans from contemporary artists Jayne Parker and Jon Thompson.
This exhibition was part of the York Festival of Ideas, which ran from 14 – 30 June, 2012. This programme – with a theme of Metamorphoses -brought together a range of world-class speakers, exhibitions, performances and a host of stimulating and interactive experiences.
- York Museums Trust Granted Subject Specialist Networks Project Funding
- Free Entry to York Art Gallery with a National Lottery Ticket
- Nicolas Poussin’s The Triumph of Pan Travelling the UK in 2019
- Janet Cardiff’s The Forty Part Motet to Feature in New Exhibition at York Art Gallery
- Major Exhibition Marking 200th Birthday of Art and Social Critic John Ruskin to go on Display
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.