Sara Radstone: More Than Words
17 November 2017 – 10 June 2018
The Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA) presents a moving retrospective exhibition of work by British artist Sara Radstone (born 1955). Through her work with ceramics, Sara explores a range of ideas concerned with memory, history, landscape, humanity, loss and absence.
Sara was born in London and studied at Herefordshire College of Art and at Camberwell School of Art, where Ian Auld was Head of Department and visiting lecturers included Gillian Lowndes and Ewen Henderson. She has exhibited and taught widely both here and abroad, and her work can be found in many UK and international public and private collections.
Designed by Martin Smith, the exhibition follows the quiet progression of Sara’s life in ceramics beginning with early works created as she sought to reinterpret the vessel form. Following her struggles and successes with the material, the exhibition tracks the evolution of Sara’s ideas as she moved from vessels to freestanding sculptures, wall-based multiples and installations.
Her journey has often been circuitous as she has revisited earlier ideas and sought to resolve or re-imagine earlier thoughts. Her work seeks to illustrate how thoughts, process and diverse sources give rise to ‘things’ and how they inhabit space. Sara has also created new work in response to the gallery space which is shown for the first time.
17 January 2018, 12.30pm – 1pm
Sara will giving a lunchtime talk on the exhibition and her professional career of nearly 40 years. Free with admission, no need to book.
Talk and Demonstration
17 March 2018, 1pm – 2.15pm
Sara Radstone will discuss her installation Corpus and the sculptural form of the book. This will be followed by a practical demonstration in the Studio. £10 (gallery entrance included) – click here to book via Eventbrite.
- YMT Card Holders Invited to Exclusive Private View of Two New Exhibitions at York Art Gallery This May
- Thought provoking works of art to go on display at York Art Gallery this May in exhibition 'The Sea is the Limit'
- York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum Open As Normal
- New Exhibition to open 4 May 2018 Celebrating the 70th Anniversary of the Friends of York Art Gallery
- Visit York Museums Trust sites for free this York Residents' Festival January 27 and 28 2018
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.