Clay, Peat and Cage
UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
October 1 2021 – February 13 2022
Please note: York Art Gallery will close on the 4th January and reopen again on the 12th January. You can find out more here.
Included in admission to our special exhibition ‘‘Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings’.
Book tickets here
The UK premiere of a collaborative performance to camera series by Yorkshire-based artists Jade Montserrat and Webb-Ellis is now open at York Art Gallery.
The triptych ‘Clay, Peat, Cage’ (2015) explores the North Yorkshire landscape, where Montserrat and Webb-Ellis have lived for the majority of their lives, and addresses issues around ownership of land, nature, and the body, as well as the notion of belonging or unbelonging.
As well as the triptych, several of Montserrat’s sketchbooks are also displayed, revealing intriguing insights into her working processes and the trajectory of the films’ development.
Collectively, these artworks are displayed alongside the major exhibition ‘Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings’, staged in partnership with the Royal Collection Trust, the National Gallery of Ireland, and Nottingham Castle.
They offer a contemporary counterpart to Gainsborough’s landscape practice, re-discovering and re-imaging landscape in the 21st century, with the performances to camera portraying an exploration of the Yorkshire landscape.
- York Art Gallery welcomes loan of Grayson Perry’s Entrance to the Forest
- New Exhibition 'Drawing attention: emerging artists in dialogue', opening this October.
- New exhibition ‘Bloom’ to open at York Art Gallery this June
- York Art Gallery celebrates women ceramicists in new ‘Wall of Women’ display
- The 2023 Aesthetica Art Prize Exhibition returns to York Art Gallery between 24 March and 4 June 2023