Clay, Peat and Cage
UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
October 1 2021 – February 13 2022
Included in admission to our special exhibition ‘‘Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings’.
Book tickets here
The UK premiere of a collaborative performance to camera series by Yorkshire-based artists Jade Montserrat and Webb-Ellis is now open at York Art Gallery.
The triptych ‘Clay, Peat, Cage’ (2015) explores the North Yorkshire landscape, where Montserrat and Webb-Ellis have lived for the majority of their lives, and addresses issues around ownership of land, nature, and the body, as well as the notion of belonging or unbelonging.
As well as the triptych, several of Montserrat’s sketchbooks are also displayed, revealing intriguing insights into her working processes and the trajectory of the films’ development.
Collectively, these artworks are displayed alongside the major exhibition ‘Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings’, staged in partnership with the Royal Collection Trust, the National Gallery of Ireland, and Nottingham Castle.
They offer a contemporary counterpart to Gainsborough’s landscape practice, re-discovering and re-imaging landscape in the 21st century, with the performances to camera portraying an exploration of the Yorkshire landscape.
- Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings - Twenty-five recently attributed Gainsborough drawings go on show for the first time alongside major works
- Clay, Peat and Cage - UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
- Work by world-renowned artist Damien Hirst on display at York Art Gallery
- A new display of The Anthony Shaw Collection entitled ‘Themes’ opens at the Centre of Ceramic Art
- York Museums Trust invitation to tenders