Aesthetica Art Prize 2022
24 June – 18 September 2022
Book tickets here
Over the past two years, we have witnessed radical paradigmatic shifts in the ways that we live, communicate, work and play – as well as how we travel, socialise and experience the joys of culture.
The Aesthetica Art Prize is an annual celebration of contemporary art. The exhibition, which brings together this year’s talented finalists, invites you to explore, discover and engage with themes from our rapidly changing world – wide-ranging topics that include the ethics of representation, mass digitisation, globalisation, diasporic identities and the continuing threats posed by the climate crisis.
These 20 pieces – both individually and collectively – disrupt the status quo. Together, they offer both personal and universal narratives whilst asking key questions about life right here in the 21st century, as we emerge from the pandemic. The projects span Argentina, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the UK and the USA, and push the boundaries of genre, from painting, photography and sculpture, to video, mixed-media and installation.
The Aesthetica Art Prize is a way for you to convene, discuss and make sense of the present moment, at this critical juncture in history. Art has the power to unite. It is transformative. It takes us to new places, and introduces us to new cultures, but most importantly, it reminds us of our humanity.
The exhibition is curated by Cherie Federico with support from Griselda Goldsbrough and Kit Monkman.
- York Art Gallery welcomes loan of Grayson Perry’s Entrance to the Forest
- New Exhibition 'Drawing attention: emerging artists in dialogue', opening this October.
- New exhibition ‘Bloom’ to open at York Art Gallery this June
- York Art Gallery celebrates women ceramicists in new ‘Wall of Women’ display
- The 2023 Aesthetica Art Prize Exhibition returns to York Art Gallery between 24 March and 4 June 2023