The Anthony Shaw Collection
Anthony Shaw has been collecting art for over 40 years and his collection is now on long term loan to York Museums Trust.
He is particularly drawn to work that explores the sculptural and painterly qualities of clay.
In the first display of his collection in York, Shaw has selected a variety of work by an array of artists, including sculptural pieces by Gordon Baldwin and Ewen Henderson, figurative mixed media work by Kerry Jameson, and functional ceramics by Jim Malone.
Shaw has always felt that his collection is most at home in a domestic environment and he has worked with the ceramist Martin Smith to develop a domestic-style space in which to show his collection.
Taking the form of two rooms, Shaw places his objects on furniture, between books on shelves, in front of paintings and he invites visitors in to share the experience of living with a collection.
- Art Fund Releases Exclusive Rankin York Art Gallery Photograph Ahead of Museum of the Year Announcement
- First Art Installation To Be Revealed At York Art Gallery’s Artists’ Garden
- Battle of the Somme Special Exhibition and 1916 Film Mark 100 Years Since the Battle
- York Museums Trust First Open Weekend To Take Place 25 & 26 June 2016
- York Art Gallery Wins the Visit York Attraction of the Year Award 2016
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.