Michael Lyons: Ancient and Modern
25 May 2019 – May 2020
Large scale sculptures by internationally acclaimed artist Michael Lyons are displayed in this major new outside exhibition.
Ancient and Modern includes nine sculptures inspired by nature, myth and ancient cultures.
Lyons, who died suddenly in April 2019, worked from Cawood, North Yorkshire, with this the first major exhibition of his work in York.
The sculptures are displayed in the unique setting of York Art Gallery’s Artists Garden and Edible Wood, with the central space dominated by Amphitrite (1993), a large painted steel structure.
The exhibition is free and will run for 12 months.
Lyons’ sculptures range from small-scale to monumental, while his materials include brass, bronze, clay and copper. The artist’s in-depth exploration of the medium of steel has resulted in an ambitious body of work that is at home in both rural and urban landscapes. Although the sculptures are abstract, their starting point is often figurative. Alongside Amphitrite (1993), the eight other works show varying styles as Lyons’ work changed between the 1980s to the 2000s.
The works are: Ace (1982), Michaelmas (1982) Mayflower (1983), High Priest (1989), Cavalcade (1990), Hornblower (1992), Harvest : Ceres’ Key (2000) and Harvest : Demeter’s Dream (2000).
- Sounds Like Her - A new exhibition exploring Gender, Sound Art and Sonic Cultures
- New Exhibition Celebrates the Life and Work of Internationally Acclaimed Sculptor from Yorkshire
- Internationally Acclaimed Sculptor Displays Work in Major Outdoor Exhibition
- New Café to Open at York Art Gallery
- New Chair of Trustees Appointed at York Museums Trust
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.