The Wall of Pots
Our new 17 metre long Wall of Pots presents over 1,000 ceramics from across our collection, dating from the Roman period right through to the present day.
The first display in this enormous case celebrates colour in ceramics and is designed to offer a rainbow of pots.
Ceramists have a long history of experimenting with materials and techniques to create colour and texture, as demonstrated by the incredible range of examples in this display.
Follow the potter’s journey from manipulating the clay, developing extraordinary glazes, to the dramatic firing process and learn more about the skill, the challenges and the dangers involved in creating these ceramic objects.
- York Art Gallery selected as finalists for Large Visitor Attraction of the Year at the Visit York Awards 2022
- W.A. Ismay’s remarkable ceramics collection to go on display in new exhibition at York Art Gallery’s Centre of Ceramic Art
- Young Gainsborough: Rediscovered Landscape Drawings - Twenty-five recently attributed Gainsborough drawings go on show for the first time alongside major works
- Clay, Peat and Cage - UK premiere of work by Yorkshire-based artists at York Art Gallery
- Work by world-renowned artist Damien Hirst on display at York Art Gallery