Manifest: 10,000 Hours
1 August 2015 – 4 June 2017
Created for the stunning space of the newly created Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA) at York Art Gallery, Clare Twomey’s installation featured 10,000 handmade ceramic bowls on an impressive structure rising into the gallery’s historic roof space.
Communities of helpers in York and beyond assisted Twomey in the production of the bowls. Each bowl took an hour to make and represents one of the 10,000 hours it is said to take to become a master craftsman. It was also Clare’s response to York Art Gallery’s collection of ceramics, the dedication of the artists that produced them, and the collectors that supported them and then generously gave their collections to York Museums Trust.
“I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with such a personally formed and rich collection. Making this work has built a dialogue around the roles of the collector, objects and the communities that appreciate them.”
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Internationally significant ceramics donated to York Art Gallery
- Trustee of York Museums Trust included in the Woman’s Hour Power List 2020: Our Planet
- New paintings by prominent British artists acquired by York Art Gallery
- Former director of the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum joins York Museums Trust Board of Trustees