Manifest: 10,000 Hours
1 August 2015 – 4 June 2017
Created for the stunning space of the newly created Centre of Ceramic Art (CoCA) at York Art Gallery, Clare Twomey’s installation featured 10,000 handmade ceramic bowls on an impressive structure rising into the gallery’s historic roof space.
Communities of helpers in York and beyond assisted Twomey in the production of the bowls. Each bowl took an hour to make and represents one of the 10,000 hours it is said to take to become a master craftsman. It was also Clare’s response to York Art Gallery’s collection of ceramics, the dedication of the artists that produced them, and the collectors that supported them and then generously gave their collections to York Museums Trust.
“I am thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with such a personally formed and rich collection. Making this work has built a dialogue around the roles of the collector, objects and the communities that appreciate them.”
- Give a year of great days out this Christmas with the YMT Card
- Projects involving York Museums Trust shortlisted for three York Cultural Awards
- Last chance to see two major exhibitions at York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum this week
- Celebrating the City! Create artwork inspired by the York this October half term at York Art Gallery
- Letters, belongings and artworks by Paul and John Nash to go on show at York Art Gallery
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.